I came up with this simple recipe while trying to figure out what to do with all the leftover turbinado sugar from the apple-banana muffins. It's nutritious, quick, and very easy. That's like a stay-at-home-mom's trifecta right there.
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter substitute (I use Smart Balance)
2/3 cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 1/2 cups mashed, ripe bananas
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9 x 5 bread pan.
2. Sift or whisk together first four ingredients in medium bowl. In a large bowl, cream butter. Add sugar and continue to mix. Add eggs, beat well between each.
3. To the butter mixture, add half of sifted ingredients and mix slowly. Add mashed bananas and mix. Add the remainder of the flour and mix until just blended.
4. Fold in nuts.
5. Pour into bread pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let cool in pan for about 30 minutes before removing.