Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Apple Banana Muffins

I was originally going to discuss the value of weekly menu planning, but that will just have to wait until next week. I simply must share this recipe with you. I found the original recipe at Weelicious and made a couple changes.

In a few days, EK and I will be traveling to NYC for Anthony’s BOTC graduation. I’ve been going over what snacks I was going to take for the plane ride and have been hitting some bumps. It has to be something REALLY good for her to eat it (she doesn’t eat when she’s excited). I know I want her to eat during take off and landing to avoid the whole shrieking-in-ear-pain situation. The only thing I was thinking would work was cookies. She’ll do just about anything for a cookie. And then I found this recipe.

It’s perfect.

Not only did it use up the rest of the fruit that I was worried would end up trashed, but it made a bunch of beautiful, bite-sized little scrumptious goodies. And guess what… no added sugar (I’m talkin the white stuff, ya know, the enemy. This recipe does call for honey.) and VERY little fat. And the fat that’s used is canola oil, a heart-healthy fat.

Apple Banana Muffins
(Makes 24-28 Mini Muffins… That’s what the recipe said and I ended up with 24 mini muffins and 10 regular muffins.)

Ingredients

The Dry Team:
1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
½ Cup Old Fashioned Oats
2 Tsp Baking Powder
½ Tsp Baking Soda
½ Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cinnamon

The Wet Team:
4 Tbsp Canola Oil
½ Cup Honey (substitute agave for honey if feeding an infant under 1 year old, or you could just use the white stuff, sugar. I won’t tell anyone.)
1 Egg
½ Cup Milk
2 Bananas, mashed
1 Medium Apple, peeled and grated (I used the yummy, sweet Pink Lady variety)

Instructions
1. Here we go! Preheat your over to 350 degrees and grease your muffin tins.

2. Combine your dry team in a bowl and mix.

3. In another bowl, combine your wet team and whisk.

* If your honey is sticking to the sides of the jar (or in our case, the bear), pop it in the microwave for a few seconds. This will liquefy it and allow you to use every last drop.

(Just don't do it too long or you might melt your bear.)

4. Slowly add the dry team to the wet team and stir until just combined. Do not fret, you WILL see bits of white here and there. You must fight the urge to work those bits in. Just walk away! You’ll thank me later.

5. Fill tins almost to the top. I suggest using a scoop to make the job nice and neat.

6. Bake for 17 minutes. If making minis, check them after 12 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the center of one muffin (if it comes out wet, needs more time).

7. Once out of the oven, immediately remove from muffin tin and allow to cool on a cooling rack.

8. ENJOY!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks for the helpful instructions...I might just have to try these! I'm sure Taylor would love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. things that i was thinking of doing today: folding laundry, cleaning the kitchen, MAKING APPLE BANANA MUFFINS. you're a mindreader. i saw this recipe too, and thought i might try it.

    love, love, love the pictures! you're awesome. have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love watching Emma-Kate helping. Very cute photos.

    ReplyDelete