Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tempted Much?

Greetings from Honduras! This week I am cruising with my mom, two aunts and two cousins. The six of us take a trip every two years, and this year we decided to cruise.


I don't know about you, but when I hear the word cruise, one of the first things that I think about is the food. Well, first I think of the tan I plan to acquire, but then I think of the food. Every meal can be eaten buffet style or in the dining room. And let's not forget the midnight buffet, the pizza stands by the pool, the deli, the sushi bar, the burrito bar, and the waiters who are always offering pina coladas. Add to that 24 hour room service and you can literally eat all day long.

So, how do you combat the temptations?? For this cruise, I decided that I would not snack and would only eat at meal times. In doing this, I am actually hungry during meals and not eating just because the food is there.

I also decided that I would allow myself one meal to really let loose and enjoy all I wanted, but the rest of the meals I would show control. My chosen night was Captain's Night. It was HEAVEN! The appetizers were pumpkin soup and stuffed mushrooms, the main course was lobster and shrimp, and dessert was a chocolate molten cake. And here is the kicker: I didn't feel guilty. At all. Because for breakfast I had had fruit and toast with peanut butter. For lunch I had the light pasta and fruit for dessert.


In contrast, for dinner last night, I had boiled free range chicken on top of asparagus with a plain baked potato (I eat my baked potatoes with ketchup instead of butter and sour cream). I did have some cheesecake for dessert, but it was controlled (and delicious).


As mentioned in my previous post, it's all about not feeling deprived. I am enjoying the food on this cruise, but on my own terms. I have set some boundaries, but instead of limiting me, they are helping me enjoy the food that I am eating that much more. I am also working out everyday. The cruise has a great track that we walk/jog on and we also swim "laps" in the ocean (which is much harder than I thought because you have to fight the current and waves).

In the past year I have learned a lot about my eating habits and what I need to do to feel satisfied. The cruise has been a great start to this traveling season and I am hoping that I can keep it up! Next week I will be writing to you from Barcelona and giving you an update on my better choices for food and the never ending battle to exercise.
Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment