Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Airport+Hungry= ??

Have you ever missed a flight and have had to eat at the airport? Or were in such a rush packing and getting ready that you forgot to eat and arrived STARVING at the airport?

Today, I don't have either of those scenarios. Instead, I have an 8 hour layover at JFK airport. 8 HOURS (I didn't book my flight, my boss did).

In recent years, I have noticed how enticing Moe's can be (or Sbarro, or McDonald's, or Starbucks, or Auntie Anne's, or Wok and Roll...the list goes on and on) when I am sitting at an airport, bored and hungry. Does this happen to you? It is so easy to sit at the food court and dig in, just to pass the time. This would usually be me (except I am not blond)!

Today, instead of giving in to temptation, I went on a hunt for "healthy food". And I actually found some that was pretty decent! Thanks to New York State law, restaurants and cafes have to list the calorie and fat content of food that is sold. I went to an Express Euro Cafe and found a club sandwich (460 calories and 19 grams of fat) that came with the option of chips or fruit (I got an apple) and a drink (a bottle of water).


I know, I know, that is a lot of fat for a sandwich. But on the flip side, a slice of pepperoni pizza at Sbarro has 730 calories and 37 grams of fat. While the pizza would have been more convenient, I have made goals for myself that I want to achieve. With a little bit of detective work and dedication, I am able to stay with my calorie intake for the day and still feel pretty good.

And if you are feeling really ambitious, you can even walk around the airport during a layover, and get some exercise in. I will not be doing this today (I am going on about 2 hours of sleep right now), but its something to consider while you wait for your plane.

Happy traveling!

1 comment:

  1. That is my favorite part about the new healthcare reform bill...all major chains will be required to display nutritional info on menus (just like nyc).

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2010-03-23-calories-menus_N.htm

    ReplyDelete