Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

You better lose yourself in the music...

Have you ever been in the middle of a workout and exhaustion has set in? And then, all of a sudden, your song comes on...you get a second (or third) wind and are able to finish the work out...

The other day I was reading an article in The New York Times on how scientists had volunteers ride bicycles and listen to different songs. With each ride, the scientists changed the tempo of the music, sometimes slower and sometimes faster.

When the tempo was slower, the riders biked slower. When the tempo was faster, the riders biked faster. The best part is, the bikers didn't feel that either way was a particularly harder ride. They just reacted to the music. AMAZING!

Click HERE to read the article.

I think I always knew that music could influence my workout. When I would go for a run, I would always make sure that the music in the middle and end of the run had a heavier beat (like a rap song) or had an inspirational message (convincing me to finish). Only now, I have science to back me up! :)

But I always have such a hard time finding new songs. Do you? If I share my playlist, will you share yours? I have written before about needing to be entertained when I work out, so please share your songs so that I can add them to my list.

Playlist (in no particular order):
Eminem- Lose Yourself (clean version)
Moulin Rouge- Can Can
Smashing Pumpkins- The End is the Beginning is the End
Black Eyed Peas- Imma Be
Avril Lavigne/Little Mama- Girlfriend Remix
Fort Minor- Remember the Name (clean version)
Kayne West- Stronger (clean version)
Fatboy Slim- Rockafeller Skank
Madonna/Justin Timberlake- Four Minutes
Leona Lewis- Bleeding Love Remix
Fall Out Boy- Thanks for the Memories
Paramore- Misery Business
Pink- So What
Saul Williams- List of Demand
Chayenne/Jennifer Lopez- Dame
David Guetta- Love is Gone
Hoobastank- Out of Control
Pitbull- I Know You Want Me
Kidi Cudi- Day 'N' Night Remix
Muse- Supermassive Black Hole
DJ Earworm- United States of Pop 2009
Outcast- Bombs Over Baghdad
All American Rejects- Dirty Little Secrets
Fergie- Labels or Love
Petey Pablo- Show Me the Money
N'Sync- Dirty Pop
Jimmy Eat World- Pain
Muse- Stockholm Syndrome
Jennifer Lopez- Do It Well
Black Eyed Peas- Let's Get it Started
Franz Ferdinand- Take Me Out
Boys Like Girls- Love Drunk
Hoobstank- Crawling Out of the Dark
Pussycat Dolls- When I Grow Up
Shakira- Give It Up To Me
Fergie- Fergalicious
Chris Brown- I Can Transform Ya
Audiovent- The Energy
Kanye West- Gold Digger (clean version)
Linkin Park- Faint
Mika- Love Today
Nelly- Party People
Sean Paul- Temperature
The Ting Tings- That's Not My Name
The Veronicas- 4Ever
A. R. Rahman- Jai Ho!
Basement Jaxx- Where's Your Head At?
Black Eyed Peas- Boom Boom Pow (clean version)
Eminem- Till I Collapse (clean version)

Let's try to help each other by sharing our music. My challenge to you is to post a comment and tell me what songs help you finish your workouts!

"This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!"
- Fort Minor Remember the Name

1 comment: