Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Let's talk about lentils

I love lentils. They're easy to cook, nutritious, filling, versatile and cheap. Oh yeah, and they're delicious. What more could you want?

Lentils are a staple in our rotation, and each time I make them a different way. A few weeks ago, I followed a recipe in one of my many cookbooks that yielded a sweet version of lentils with dried apricots. This week, I went a simple route using ingredients I happened to have on hand: onion, garlic, paprika, fresh thyme, red bell pepper and kale. I used French lentils, which I buy in bulk and always have in my pantry. They're more flavorful than most lentils, and they hold their shape better than other types that turn mushy more quickly.

I topped the lentils with a bit of nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with some saffron. I also love eating the lentils with a poached egg -- which always feels so luxurious -- on top. Add a piece of crusty bread, and that's a tasty healthy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment