Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's Good Cause it's Florida


I am a Florida girl through and through. What does that mean? Basically… it means give me some crashing waves, citrusy fruit, and palm trees, and I’m a happy camper. It also means I’ve become spoiled and come to expect warm sunshiny weather, even in January.

One of the best quotes I ever heard about Florida was from a radio DJ who said “If you think God blessed Texas, you’ve clearly never set foot in the sunshine state.” Granted, I’m pretty sure he was talking about beautiful women, but I like to think he meant the beautiful warm weather.   

Because we have been battling dreary weather of epic proportions this week, I felt I needed to whip up a true Florida girl meal. I decided to adapt one of Publix’s Apron’s Simple Meals (another thing Florida girl’s love…Publix) and it turned out magnificently. It is the perfect combo of warm, citrusy goodness. I think I found my new favorite salad AND one that makes for a yummy next day lunch.

Citrus Chicken Salad (Florida Girl Style)


Ingredients:

2 Grapefruit
½ cup lemon curd
¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
3 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon cooking oil
¼ teaspoon Everglades Seasoning
2 tablespoons water
Spring mix salad blend

  
1.     Cut grapefruit in half and remove grapefruit sections




2.     Squeeze grapefruit membranes in bowl for juice

3.     Whisk grapefruit juice and lemon curd until smooth

4.     Add garlic powder to mixture (the original recipe called for ½ teaspoon minced garlic but I didn’t have any on hand).

5.     Preheat large pan on medium-high for 3 minutes.

6.     Season chicken with salt, pepper, and Everglades seasoning (I added the Everglades seasoning because its fabulous and I use it on almost everything). 

7.     Brown chicken on each side (I like mine really brown)

8.     Reduce heat to medium and add water. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.

9.     Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces

10.  Top salad with chicken and grapefruit chickens.

11.  Enjoy!

 



Needless to say, my husband wasn’t really interested in coming anywhere near this meal. While Florida residents love their citrus and warm grilled chicken….those from ‘bama prefer their salads to have a bit more ranch dressing, cheese, or fried chicken. That’s okay though. It means I’ve got healthy and delicious food for lunches the rest of the week.

Stored and ready to go!


Links to Health:








1 comment:

  1. I miss Florida so so so so so so much. This blog just made me jealous. I love warm weather, palm trees, college football, hot girls in bikinis, being in a pikini and Publix.

    ReplyDelete