Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chi...chi...chili!

People. I have an announcement.

Fall is here (in case you weren't aware).

I don't know about the weather where you live, but the weather in DC has been miserable lately. Rainy and cold. Not a good combination.

I was working late one night and noticed how the rain had picked up. No good, I thought to myself. And then I realized I had absolutely nothing to eat at home. I wanted something that would make the chill in the air go away and warm my toes...
And then I thought of my chili...

And then I thought that I would share the recipe with you.

Simple Turkey Chili

Brown the turkey and add onions and green pepper...Add some garlic, water, crushed tomatoes and the beans (mashed)
The seasoning!
Let it simmer about 30 minutes
Eat!
Oh my goodness. The chili totally hit the spot! My roommate and I both ate very well that night and I was able to take some for lunch the next day (and I put some in the freezer for another night...or two).

Here is the full recipe:

Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper
2 cups water
1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
1 (15.5 ounce) can canned kidney beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
1 (15.5 ounce) can canned black beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion and pepper, and cook until tender.

2. Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, beans, and garlic. Season chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.

See, told you it was easy!!

3 comments:

  1. THAT? Looks amazing. And because of this I'm going to do my chili tonight, which is a white chicken chili. Yum also. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I've never tried 2 kinds of beans in my chili! Thanks for the tip! Looks delicious! We just finished some white chili. Next week I'll have to make this version. :)

    ReplyDelete