Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Resolution 2012

I've been thinking a lot about what I'd like to accomplish in 2012. Last year was a bit of a disappointment in the health and fitness department. I had two main goals in mind for 2011: to complete an Olympic-distance triathlon and to run a sub-2-hour half-marathon.

I managed to do neither of those. My bike training was derailed by a cranky illiotibial band in my left leg, and that half-marathon didn't happen thanks to some really painful tendinitis in my right knee. And now I'm dealing with a sprained ankle. Throw in some flare-ups of the bursitis/tendinitis in my left shoulder that I've been battling for a few years, and 2011 just was not fun in the training department.

So, goal #1 for 2012: Get healthy and avoid injuries.

My ankle is healing quite well, but I've put myself on a self-imposed running hiatus until March, no matter how quickly it heals. Prior to doing any running, I'll get back in the gym and do all of those leg strengthening exercises that my physical therapist showed me.

I had briefly entertained the thought of doing something like running a marathon for my 30th birthday -- which is, unfortunately, rapidly approaching -- but training for that in the next few months is just asking for yet another injury. Which is the last thing I want.

So instead, I'm going to take it very, very slowly.

Goal #2: Commit to strength training.

This is super important to achieve goal #1. Also, I really like the results I see in the mirror when I strength train. I just need to do it more consistently.

Goal #3: Run a sub-50:00 10K by the end of the year.

I think a 10K will be a good distance to shoot for this year, since I'll be starting off to a slow start. It's a long-ish race, but it doesn't require the mileage that a half-marathon does. I ran a 52:17 in October and wasn't all that well trained for it, so I think this is doable. But I will absolutely drop this goal if training for it gets in the way of goal #1. Avoiding injuries is the priority.

Goal #4: Race a 200 butterfly

I've been thinking about this one for a while, as my butterfly stroke has felt pretty good in the water. I can certainly swim a 200 fly, but I'd like to train properly and actually race it well. At my last swim meet, I swam a 100 fly, and on that last lap, all I kept thinking was thank goodness I didn't sign up for the 200. So we'll see if this happens. But it's a good goal to shoot for, I think.

Goal #5: Eat less ice cream.

I say this as I sit here polishing off a pint of Haagen-Dazs. I am constantly complaining that I can't lose those last 5-10 pounds, but then I also often end my night with a bit of ice cream. The two are probably closely related.

These are just a few of several goals I've got in mind for this year. What are you hoping to accomplish in 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment