Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A lesson in meal planning...

I am not a weekly menu planner. When I go grocery shopping, I get the usual things (ham, bread, yogurt, eggs) but I don't really cook big meals for myself. A typical dinner for me may be a sandwich or an omelet. 

But, I am trying to be better. Yesterday I made a turkey meatloaf. It was delicious! And easy...

The best part about this recipe is that it includes mushrooms. Really, you can add just about any veggies (hidden or not) because the sauce that goes with the meatloaf is BBQ based. I imagine that carrots and zucchini would work really well in the recipe. 

So, here we go:
For the original recipe, click here (but for a quick view, read on...)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms/carrots/zucchini (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 2/3 cup ready-to-serve creamy tomato soup, divided
  • 1/4 cup ketchup, divided
  • 1/4 cup BBQ, divided
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, divided
  • chili powder to taste (I did not include the chili powder)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a bowl, mix the turkey, eggs, mushrooms/carrots/zucchini, bread crumbs, soup mix, 1/3 cup creamy tomato soup, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce, and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Mold the mixture into a loaf shape, and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle with chili powder (optional).
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining creamy tomato soup, remaining ketchup, remaining BBQ sauce, and remaining Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
  4. Bake loaf 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Top with the sauce (I added a little more breadcrumbs for crunch), and continue baking 15 minutes, to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
 Sorry for the poor quality of photo, I used my phone....

Paired with green beans, this proved to be a healthy meal, with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment